CHEMICAL FORMULA :
- Appearance :
- Colourless liquid
- Sp.Gravity at 30 oC :
- Boiling point :
- 340 oC
- Purity (as H2SO4) :
- 98.0% min
- Iron (as Fe) :
- 0.05% max
- Residue on Ignition :
- 0.20% max
- Lead (as Pb) :
- 0.005% max
- Arsenic (as As) :
- 0.004% max
Sulphuric acid is an important reagent in a large number of processes. Among the many uses, some of the main ones are :
- Catalyst and dehydrating agent in many organic chemical manufacturing and petrochemical processes.
- In the manufacturing of detergents.
- In the manufacturing of titanium dioxide (a widely used white pigment), and other dyes and pigments.
- In the manufacturing of fertilizers mainly phosphates but also zinc, ammonium and potassium sulphates.
- In the manufacturing process for a range of plastics.
- Metal processing such as picking and de-scaling of steel, and non-ferrous metal plating and purification.
Some of its other uses include:
- Drug production via sulphonation, manufacturing of food acids (citric and lactic acid) and edible oils, Adhesives, Explosives, Synthetic rubber, Water and effluent treatment, Chlorine drying, Wood pulping, Leather tanning, Batteries.
DANGERS AND PRECAUTIONS FOR HANDLING PRODUCT :
- Causes severe damage to eyes, skin & air passage
- Reaction with moist air produces mist, which has severe irritant effect on eyes, skin & air passage.
- Store the material in SS & MS tank. Avoid contact with moisture.
- Fire risk in contact with organic substances
- Tanker Load. HM HDPE drums of 235 kg & HM HDPE Carboys of 50 kg.